Maggie Sanders focuses her practice in the areas of insurance coverage and casualty litigation.
She represents retailers, restaurants, and trucking companies in claims alleging negligence to catastrophic injuries from trucking accidents, premises liability, negligent security, and personal injury.
Maggie also represents insurance companies against first-party property litigation including water, sinkhole, and fire claims.
While in law school, Maggie interned for the Appellate Division at the Office of the Public Defender, where she drafted appellate briefs and argued State v. Hernandez, No. 13-1796, in front of the Third District Court of Appeal. As part of her internship, she also worked at the City Attorney’s Office of the City of Miami focusing on civil rights, commercial and tort litigation, and election law issues, and the Office of the U.S. Trustee, where she gained invaluable experience related to Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 cases.
Attorneys Darryl Gavin and Maggie Sanders obtained a defense verdict in Miami-Dade Circuit Court in D. Maria Garcia vs. Anchor Property and Casualty Insurance Company. The case arose from an alleged plumbing backup in two bathrooms of Plaintiff’s home, in which the carrier denied the claim based on Plaintiff’s failure to comply with the homeowners policy’s conditions. Specifically, Plaintiff failed to preserve any evidence of the alleged backups and failed to allow the carrier to inspect the allegedly damaged cast-iron pipe prior to its removal and disposal. Plaintiff was seeking over $100,000 in repairs due to the alleged category 3 blackwater loss, including replacement of the entire cast-iron pipe system and the flooring throughout her home. After deliberating for 12 minutes, the jury returned the verdict in the Defendant’s favor on December 11, 2019.
- Retail and Hospitality
- Cuban American Bar Association
A.I.T. Planning Committee
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers (FAWL)
- Dade County Bar Associtation
- Voices For Children
Board of Directors
St. Thomas University School of Law — J.D., cum laude, 2014
- St. Thomas Law Review, Articles Editor
- Moot Court Board, President
- Book Award: Appellate Advocacy
- Cuban American Student Association, President
- Hispanic American Student Association, Vice President
- 21st Annual Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition, Semi-Finalist
Florida International University — M.I.B., 2006
Florida International University — B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude, 2005
- Minor in International Relations
- Florida — 2016
- U.S. District Courts of Florida (Southern)
- Presenter, "First Party Claim Handling and Insurer Bad Faith," Claims Education Conference, May 2019
- Co-Author, "Can't Touch This! Florida Supreme Court Says Attorney-Client Privilege Protects Lawyer Referrals to Doctor," April 2017
- Co-Author, "Uber-Successful Digital Business Model May Crash If Florida Court Classifies Drivers as Employees," April 2017