Monica C. Segura
Monica Segura focuses her practice in the areas of the areas of construction, insurance coverage and casualty litigation. She represents insurance companies against coverage and property claims involving homeowners, automobile, life and commercial general liability policies. Monica also defends general contractors, subcontractors, and developers against multi-million dollar construction defect claims by individual homeowners and homeowners associations.
She represents and defends carriers in appellate disputes and also handles the global settlements of some of those claims.
Monica was extensively involved in the defense of contractors and developers in state and federal Chinese drywall litigation. In particular, she assisted in the defense of contractors facing claims that were unique to product liability issues and construction defense matters in the Multi-district Litigation (MDL) in Louisiana.
In addition to her busy practice, Monica is also the Magistrate/Special Master for the Town of Miami Lakes, Florida where she oversees building code disputes that arise while assisting both the Town and residents with these issues.
Monica has received a number of distinctions in recognition of her contributions to the community. She is the recipient of the 2013 President’s Award which is the highest recognition for leadership and service by the Miami-Dade Chapter of FAWL. She also received the Daily Business Review “Rising Star 40 Under 40 Award.” Monica is registered as a Woman of Outstanding Leadership by The International Women’s Leadership Association.
- Magistrate/Special Master of the Town of Miami Lakes
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers (FAWL)
Miami-Dade Chapter, Board of Directors, 2006-2013
- American Bar Association
- Coral Gables Bar Association
- Cuban American Bar Association
Board of Directors, 2008-2010
- The Florida Bar Board of Governors
Young Lawyers Division 2009-2010
- Dade County Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
University of Miami School of Law — J.D., Dean's List, 2005
- 2003 First Year Law Student Moot Court Competition, Finalist
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, Member
- University of Miami Society of Bar and Gavel, Member
- Student Bar Association, President
- Hispanic Law Students Association, Mentor; Committee Chair, Fall 2004
- Law Student Orientation Committee, Social Chair
University of Miami — B.S., Communications, Magna Cum Laude with Honors Thesis, 2002
- Florida Merit Scholar
- President’s Honor Roll
- Provost’s Honor Roll
- Dean’s Honor Roll
- Golden Key International Honor Society
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Nominee for the National Collegiate Honor Society
- Florida — 2006
- U.S. District Courts of Florida (Southern)
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star, Construction Litigation, 2009 - 2019
- Daily Business Review Rising Star 40 Under 40 Award, 2013
- Woman of Outstanding Leadership, by The International Women’s Leadership Association, 2013
- President’s Award, Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Miami-Dade Chapter, 2013
- Worldwide Who's Who, 2012
- The Global Directory of Who's Who Online
- Florida Trend Legal Elite "Up & Coming Attorney," 2009
- Moderator, "Winning in Motion Calendar," Spellman-Hoeveler American Inns of Court's Bench & Bar Conference, March 2019
- Panelist at Young Lawyers Professionalism Panel by the Florida Bar Board of Governors, Young Lawyers Division, August 8, 2013.
- Panelist at “The Secrets of Superstar Associates” Panel presented by the Miami Dade Chapter of the Florida Association for Women Lawyers (FAWL), November 18, 2011.
- Presenter and Organizer of the Continuing Legal Education Course of Practicing with Professionalism Program by the Florida Bar Board of Governors, Young Lawyers Division, August, 2009.