Steve D. Berlin, CIPP/US
Steve Berlin focuses on product liability and casualty litigation with an emphasis on issues involving the legal impacts of using technology. This includes concepts like data storage and transmission, cybersecurity compliance, cell phone use, social media, and insider threat mitigation. He helps clients develop their internal policy and defends them in litigation. He handles premises liability cases, as well as first property home insurance defense where he represents home insurance companies in claims dispute litigation. He also works with the defense contracting community on a wide variety of legal issues.
Prior to joining RumbergerKirk, Steve retired from The Army JAG Corps. He focused his military career as a criminal litigator and as in-house counsel. The Army JAG Corps designated him as an Expert Military Justice Practitioner. He has prosecuted over sixty courts-martial with a heavy emphasis on crimes involving sexual and family violence.
As in-house counsel, he helped military commanders solve sensitive, complex problems. He was responsible for a variety of legal disciplines including operational law, military justice, administrative law, investigation, claims, legal assistance, and fiscal law. He has extensively served as an ethics counselor. He was the senior legal advisor to an Airborne Brigade Combat Team that deployed to Anbar Province, Iraq. There he was also the senior military rule of law advisor. He was also the Staff Judge Advocate for the Combined Joint Interagency Task Force – Syria and was an in-house legal advisor at U.S. Special Operations and Central Commands.
Outside of litigation, he is the legal advisor to the West Point Society – Florida West Coast chapter.
- Retail and Hospitality
- University of Florida Association of Asian Alumni – Tampa Bay Coordinator (2017)
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Tampa Bay – Board Member (2018)
- West Point Society - Florida West Coast, Legal Advisor (2017)
University of Florida College of Law — J.D., cum laude, 2004
Judge Advocate General's Legal Center and School — L.L.M. in Military Law (Criminal Law Specialty), 2009
United States Military Academy — B.S., Operations Research, 1997
Command and General Staff Officer Course, 2014
- Florida — 2004
- U. S. District Courts of Florida (Middle)
- Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces — 2009
- United States Supreme Court — 2009
- CIPP/US certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Author, "Federal Cybersecurity Regulation? It Could Be Coming!" Cyber Florida Cybersecurity Blog, May 1, 2019
- Author, "Cybersecurity & the Law," Cyber Florida Cybersecurity Blog, March 18, 2019
- Co-Author, “When It Comes to Cybersecurity Litigation, An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure,” Daily Business Review, February 14, 2019
- Co-Author, "General data protection regulation: Should a Florida business care?" Orlando Business Journal, May 4, 2018
- Co-Presenter, "Cyber Compliance," Florida GovCon, February 2018
- Co Author, “Attias v. CareFirst: Plaintiff Class Gets Foot in Courthouse Door in Data Breach Lawsuit,” Daily Business Review, February 14, 2018
- Speaker, "Chief Executives are Responsible for Cybersecurity," SecureSet, January 2018
- Co-Author, "Clickwraps and Browsewraps Oh My! Terms of Online Vender Agreements - Are They Enforceable?" Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association Magazine, Winter 2017
- Co-Author, "A Spam Story - How One Law Firm's Spam Blocker Proved Costly to Them and to Their Client," September 19, 2017