RumbergerKirk represents major corporate clients in this specialty area involving pest control, agricultural products, benzene, mold, lead, diacetyl, nutraceuticals, other chemical products, and products once manufactured with asbestos. We defend claims of direct and indirect exposure to chemical products, asbestos, and mold. Plaintiffs often claim psychological and physical harm, including fatalities. Our team has wide-ranging experience deposing experts who customarily testify for plaintiffs in these types of cases.
RumbergerKirk’s asbestos team has years of experience defending clients in state and federal courts throughout the Southeast United States. We have successfully tried cases in Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Georgia, and Virginia, and favorably resolved thousands of others. The firm’s extensive experience includes managing and defending manufacturers of:
- Friction products
- Grinding products
- Floor tiles
- Paint products
- And more
With a significant statewide presence, we are well equipped to handle multiple cases through verdict and appeal in an efficient, uniform, and cost-effective manner. Our team develops a methodical and systematic understanding of clients’ products, witnesses, and industry. We work with corporate employee witnesses and industry experts nationwide, including industrial hygienists, epidemiologists, and pulmonologists.
We represent one of the leading companies in the pest control industry. Although the majority of pest-related issues are resolved in house, some customers make protracted litigation unavoidable. Consumers and commercial entities at times buy less expensive termite contracts that do not provide for damage repair. To overcome contractual limitations, consumers will sue in tort, alleging fraud, racketeering, and other nefarious claims in an attempt to obtain leverage in settlement negotiations. We are well versed in defending against these tactics.
- We work with experts in construction, forensic structural engineering, and entomology to present accurate and truthful damage evidence to jurors, courts, and arbitrators.
- We have gained enormous experience in defending pest control companies against attempts to sue as class actions.
- We handle matters for the pest control industry before the Florida Department of Agriculture and Attorney General.
- We help leading pest control companies revise their customer contracts for compliance.
- We represent chemical manufacturers and pest control companies in toxic tort casualty cases.
- Represent manufacturers, sellers, and distributors of products alleged to contain either benzene or “trace benzene.” These cases often allege that a specific cancer is associated with a petroleum distillate which led to the disease.
- Aside from substantial trial experience, we have won significant appellate victories, which have changed the way these cases are litigated and the damages litigants may recover under certain legal theories.
- Kenneth Fisher v. A.W. Chesterton and Anchor Packing (Miami-Dade) – Jury verdict for Plaintiff of $1,120,000 reduced by setoffs to $365,000. Reversed on appeal and settled for $25,000.
- George Harriman v. Garlock (Miami-Dade) – Plaintiff’s verdict in damages-only trial reversed on appeal.
- Luthi v. Anchor Packing (Broward County) – Successful resolution of case during jury deliberations.
- Coons v. Garlock (Miami-Dade) – Damages-only trial jury, verdict vacated on appeal.
- Rucker v. Garlock (Miami-Dade) – Defense verdict in damages-only trial affirmed on appeal.
- Bolin v. Garlock (Baton Rouge LA) – Garlock’s Motion for directed verdict granted.