Suzanne Barto Hill
Suzanne Hill maintains a multifaceted commercial litigation practice with extensive experience litigating complex commercial and business disputes, lender disputes, consumer litigation, professional liability, intellectual property, class actions and employment litigation. She tries jury and non-jury cases and handles appeals throughout state, federal, bankruptcy and appellate courts throughout Florida.
She routinely represents financial institutions, lenders, law firms, business owners and professionals in a variety of commercial matters involving Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, False Claims Act, Uniform Trade Secret Act and civil RICO, Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and its Florida counterpart, the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act. She assists clients matters involving breach of contract, fraud, misappropriation, trade secrets, intellectual property, real estate, tortious interference, breach of fiduciary duties, shareholder/partner disputes, employment, commercial collections, non-compete agreements, and class actions. She has successfully obtained and defended claims seeking immediate injunctive relief. Suzanne regularly consults with clients on compliance with debt collection laws.
Suzanne defends attorneys in a wide variety of claims, including claims of negligence, malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty and other claims of intentional and negligent wrongdoing. She also represents lawyers in state bar proceedings involving grievances and claims of misconduct.
Suzanne represents employers in claims involving sexual harassment, discrimination, disabilities, the Family Medical Leave Act, and the Fair Labor Standards Act. She represents clients in administrative claims before the EEOC as well as in state and federal court. She assists employers with daily employment issues, and regularly consults with employers on employment matters, including the preparation and review of employee manuals and handbooks. She also conducts seminars for management and employees on employment related issues, including sexual harassment education and training.She also focuses on protecting, enforcing and defending client’s intellectual property rights, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets, and related litigation. Suzanne defends clients in federal court against claims of infringement, and prosecuted infringement claims on behalf of clients obtaining injunctive and other monetary relief. Outside of the courtroom, she also consults with clients on business strategies relating to protecting and enforcing intellectual property rights including evaluation, analysis, negotiation and agreements.
Suzanne is also a member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
WL 34490402 (N.D. Fla. 2000)
Summary judgment granted for clients in case alleging violation of Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act.
682 So. 2d 691 (Fla. 5th DCA 1996)
Appellate court affirmed trial court’s order denying motion to arbitration as to counts alleging fraud, conspiracy and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Banking and Financial Institutions
- American Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Judicial Nominating Commission for the Middle District of Florida
- Council of 101 - Orlando Museum of Art
University of Florida College of Law — J.D., with honors, 1989
- Trial Team, Member
University of Florida — B.S. Finance, with high honors, 1986
- Florida — 1990
- U.S. District Courts of Florida, Bankruptcy Division
- U.S. District Court of Michigan (Eastern)
- U.S. District Courts of Florida (Northern, Middle, Southern)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2013-2020
- Florida Trend Magazine Florida Legal Elite 2012
- Co-author, "CARES Act Update: Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act Provides Additional Relief for Small Businesses," June 2020
- Co-author, "Treasury and Federal Reserve Announce Additional $2.3 Trillion in Lending as Part of CARES Act to Support Economy," April 2020
- Co-author, "COVID-19: The Paycheck Protection Program Q & A," April 2020
- Author, "COVID-19: Relief Now for Eligible Small Businesses and Private Non-profits," March 2020
- Co-author, "COVID-19 Navigating a Pandemic: A Practical Guide For Businesses," March 2020
- Co-author, "COVID-19: Understanding Contract Rights and Obligations," March 2020
- Author, "Top Secrets to Successfully Presenting a Trade Secrets Case," IPWatchdog, October 1, 2019
- Author, "Recovering or Defending Claims for Business Lost Profits in Commercial Disputes," Orlando Business Journal's Consult the Counsel, May 2018
- Panelist, "Mentor and Sponsorship: Creating Growth in Your Organization & Network," Women in Law & Leadership Summit, April 2018