David B. Shelton
David Shelton concentrates his practice in the areas of coverage and bad faith, appeals and class actions. He represents clients in class action litigation and insurance claims involving automobile (personal and commercial), homeowners, excess/umbrella, commercial general liability, marine, and life insurance.
As a focal part of his practice, David handles appeals in federal and state courts throughout Florida. His most notable appellate wins have involved the representation of major insurance companies pertaining to issues such as insurance coverage, insurance policy renewal and uninsured motorist coverage. He also handles appeals involving product liability and general tort/negligence issues including spoliation of evidence.
Outside of the courtroom, David has both authored and lectured on insurance issues. He has written several articles for Trial Advocate Quarterly and has spoken at seminars on insurance-related topics including bad faith. His published works include case studies involving insurance company litigation, litigation under Florida’s Civil Remedy Statute and bad faith claims.
- Orange County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Ohio State University School of Law — J.D., with honors, 1987
The Ohio State University Law Journal
Earlham College — B.A., German and Political Science, with honors, 1984
- Florida — 1987
- U.S. District Courts of Florida (Northern, Middle, Southern)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America, "Lawyer of the Year," Insurance Law, Orlando, 2020
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2013-2024
- Listed in Florida Super Lawyers 2009
- Author, "Florida’s Fourth DCA Upholds Sworn Proof of Loss Requirement," November 2015
- Lecturer, "Insurance Industry Issues, including Bad Faith Litigation"
- Author, "Blanchard v. State Farm: Finally, The Answer As To When A First-Party Bad Faith Claim Accrues For Purposes of Section 624.155, Florida Statutes," Trial Advocate Quarterly
- Author, "Recoverable Damages in Litigation Under Florida's Civil Remedy Statute," Trial Advocate Quarterly
- Author, "Procedural Considerations in Civil Remedy Actions," Trial Advocate Quarterly