Lori J. Caldwell
Lori Caldwell focuses her practice in the areas of insurance coverage and bad faith, employment, and product liability. She also handles class actions and appellate matters in both state and federal courts.
A significant part of her practice is focused on defending insurance companies in bad faith and coverage litigation. She prosecutes declaratory judgment actions, tries complex and high exposure defense cases, and provides counseling and training on claims handling, bad faith and various coverage issues.
Her employment work focuses on the defense of employers, including insurance companies, in cases involving claims of harassment, wrongful termination, retaliation and violation of civil rights. Lori also litigates cases involving employee benefits, non-compete agreements and other contractual and commercial disputes.
She also represents manufacturers of a variety of products including automobiles and appliances.
Lori is recognized as a “Florida Super Lawyer” in the area of Civil Litigation Defense, and was selected as “Lawyer of the Year” for Insurance Law in Orlando by Best Lawyers in America for 2016. She also volunteers her time with Street Law events in Florida.
- Boating and Marine
- Motor Vehicles
- Litigation Counsel of America
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Federal Bar Association
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
Ninth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee (1996-1999)
- Local Rules for the Middle District of Florida — Advisory Committee (1997-2000)
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy — Faculty
Duke University School of Law — J.D., 1978
- Moot Court Board
- Latty Scholar
University of Florida — B.A., with high honors, 1974
- Florida Blue Key
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- University of Florida Hall of Fame
- Florida — 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals (11th Circuit)
- U.S. District Courts of Florida (Northern, Middle, Southern)
- AV-Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers 2016 Lawyer of the Year, Insurance Law, Orlando
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2013 - 2021
- Listed in Florida Super Lawyers 2006-2016
- Co-author, “Intentional Acts Pled as Negligence Claims: How the Judiciary Pierces Through the Negligence Veil,” 15 Trial Advocate Quarterly 2 (Spring 1996) and Insurance Law Review (1997-1998)
- Co-author, "Blanchard v. State Farm: Finally, the Answer as to When a First-Party Bad Faith Claim Accrues for Purposes of Section 624.155, Florida Statutes," 10 Trial Advocate Quarterly 24
- Co-author, "Faced with a Bad Faith Suit? A Reverse Bad Faith Claim May Be An Alternative," Insurance Fraud Alert Vol 2, No. 4
- Multiple presentations and training programs for insurance carriers regarding claims handling, bad faith and coverage issues