Meredith Jowers Lees
Meredith Jowers Lees focuses her practice on commercial litigation, with extensive experience in securities and financial litigation. She represents broker-dealers, including clearing brokers, in state and federal court and in FINRA arbitration in a wide variety of disputes including customer claims, raiding claims, violations of non-competition agreements, employment disputes, member-to-member claims, fraud claims, suitability claims, churning claims, and trust-related claims.
Meredith’s work extends to representing entities in the areas of insurance, corporate governance, securities fraud under state and federal law, RICO, antitrust, bond issuances and bond defaults, gaming, product liability, fraud, corporate law and business torts.
She also defends insurance companies in bad faith/fraud claims and other coverage claims involving homeowners, automobile, life and commercial liability policies. In addition, Meredith represents small business owners, as well as large corporate clients across the state of Alabama in premises liability cases, ranging from small slip and fall matters to catastrophic injuries, wrongful death and electric shock and assault.
Through her work on complex matters, Meredith has developed experience with sophisticated electronic discovery and she frequently lectures on emerging issues and best practices for conducting electronic discovery.
She was recognized as a “Rising Star” in Securities Litigation in 2011-2016 by Alabama Super Lawyers.
- Banking and Financial Institutions
- SIFMA Compliance and Legal Society
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Society of Compliance Professionals (NSCP)
- Episcopal Church of the Ascension, Vestry Member
- University of Alabama Jefferson County Alumni Chapter
- Literacy Council of Alabama
- Junior League of Birmingham
- Alabama Center for Law
Chair, Civic Education Teen Court Project
University of Alabama School of Law — J.D., magna cum laude, 2001
- Senior Editor, Journal of the Legal Profession
- Phi Delta Phi
- Student Farrah Law Society
- Dorbin Association
- Career Services Representative
University of Alabama — B.A., Public Relations, 1998
- President’s List
- Dean’s List
- Honors Program
- Hughes Scholarship
- University of Alabama Academic Scholarship
- Cardinal Key National Honor Society
- University of Alabama VP of Student Affairs Scholarship
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- Alpha Gamma Delta
The University of Hull, Kingston-upon-Hull, England — Capstone International Program, 1997
- Alabama — 2001
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for Alabama (Southern, Middle, Northern)
- State Courts of Alabama
- U. S. District Court of Alabama (Southern, Middle, Northern)
- Named as "Rising Star" by Alabama Super Lawyers, 2011-2016
- Panelist, "FINRA Arbitrations: A Comprehensive Guide for 2018 and Beyond," The Knowledge Group Webinar, September 7, 2018
- Co-Author, "Interpleader: Court Holds Plan Benefits Must Be Distributed to Beneficiary and Insured's Estate May Not Assert Claims Against Plan Trustee Regarding Distribution of the Death Benefits," DRI-The Voice of the Defense Bar, "ERISA Report," Volume 13, Issue 2, August 23, 2018