David C. Willis
Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Business Litigation, Construction Law and Real Estate Law, David Willis devotes his practice to construction, real estate and commercial matters. Board Certification is the highest level of evaluation by The Florida Bar for competency, experience, ethics, and professionalism. David’s extensive experience as a litigator and trial attorney has provided him with a deeper understanding of the types of issues that lead to litigation, thus, enabling David to more effectively advise his clients in structuring their business dealings.
David is one of 15 Florida attorneys who are certified in three areas. His three areas of certification are complementary, providing him with a solid foundation to assist all of his clients, whether they are seeking counsel for corporate transactions, contract negotiations or litigation.
David represents businesses, their owners and executives, and serves as a valuable resource for his clients. He works with his clients to help them avoid disputes altogether, however, when litigation is unavoidable, he understands the complexities and nuances of agreements to help his clients prevail with less time and expense.
With more than 35 years of experience, David has successfully represented parties involved in construction projects including public or private owners, general contractors, trade contractors, material suppliers, and design professionals. The construction projects have included multi-million dollar commercial buildings, hospitals, schools, high rise condominiums, hotels, and aircraft hangers. He is involved in all stages from site acquisition, contract negotiation and drafting, contract administration and close out. David guides his clients through disputes involving construction liens, Federal Miller Act bond claims and state law bond claims, defective work claims, delay damages, acceleration claims and extras. The litigation has run the gamut from the simple, representing a single unpaid supplier, to the complex, multi-party, multi-million dollar construction defect, delay and acceleration claims.
A significant part of David’s practice also includes handling a wide variety of business transactions and business litigation in state and federal court, through and including trial and on appeal. David’s significant experience includes breach of contract, business entity/shareholder disputes, business torts, patents, trademarks, and copyright claims, real estate disputes and lien enforcement. David handles all aspects of the litigation through trial, both jury and bench trials, as well as the appeals. David’s extensive background litigating contracts and related business disputes provides him with additional insight when counseling business clients on various contracts, real estate transactions and non-compete agreements.
David also assists clients in the purchase or sale of commercial real estate. He guides clients from negotiating contracts to working with surveyors, environmental experts and title companies, through to closing. David provides invaluable insight to his clients when handling real estate transactions. He is also a title insurance agent for Attorneys Title Insurance Fund.
David currently serves on the Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization & Education. He previously served on The Florida Bar Construction Law Certification Committee from 2010-2016 and has held the vice chair and chair positions. The Committee is responsible for reviewing applications for Board Certification and preparing the certification examination. David also served on The Florida Bar Business Litigation Certification Committee from 2004-2010 including serving as vice chair. David served on the Orlando Regional Advisory Committee for the Associated General Contractors of Greater Florida. David served as a member of the Edgewood City Council from 2002 to 2004 and 2005 to 2011.
820 So. 2d 310 (Fla. 5th DCA 2001)
483 So. 2d 505 (Fla. 4th DCA 1986)
817 So. 2d 1067 (Fla. 5th DCA 2002)
138 B.R. 633 (M.D. Fla. 1992)
936 F. 2d 1189 (11th Cir. 1991)
- The Florida Bar
- Board of Legal Specialization & Education
- Construction Law Certification Committee (2010-2016)
- Vice Chair (2014-2015)
- Chair (2015-2016)
- Business Law Section
- Business Litigation Certification Committee (2004-2010)
- Vice-Chair (2009-2010)
- Trial Lawyers Section
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Orange County Bar Association
- Business Law Committee
- Technology Subcommittee
- American Bar Association
- Construction Industry Section
- Litgation Section
- Science & Technology Section
- American Association for Justice
- Edgewood City Council
University of Florida College of Law — J.D., with honors, 1984
- University of Florida Law Review, Research Editor
- Legal research and writing, Instructor
- Appellate Advocacy, Instructor
University of Central Florida — B.S., Business Administration, 1981
- Florida — 1985
- U.S. District Courts of Florida (Northern, Middle, Southern)
- U.S. District Courts of Florida, Bankruptcy Division
- I.S. Court of Appeals, for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- AV-Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Board Certified in Real Estate Law
- Board Certified in Construction Law
- Board Certified in Business Litigation
- Listed in Florida Super Lawyers 2009, 2011
- "Managing Your Risk - A Top Ten List of Ways to Avoid Spending Time With Lawyers," Presented to Associated Builders and Contractors Workforce, March 1, 2017, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Comparison of Consensus DOCS and 2007 AIA Agreements - Associated General Contractors of Greater Florida — Speaker, 2008 — 6/26/08
- Florida Law for Engineers- American Society Civil Engineers — Speaker, 1998, 2003
- Florida Law for Design Professionals-Lorman Education Services — Speaker, 1997, 1998, 1999
- Notice to Owner – What Is It and What Do I Do With It? – Orlando Regional Healthcare System — Speaker — June 2, 1998
- Legal Aspects of Dealing with the Year 2000 – Florida Hospital Association — Speaker — July 22, 1998
- The “Moransais Decision” – A Discussion From the Engineer’s Perspective – American Society Civil Engineers — Speaker — December 14, 1999
- Florida Construction Contract Law – Centex Homes — Speaker — May 8, 2001
- Emerging Issues in Florida Indoor Air Quality and Toxic Mold Litigation – National Business Institute — Speaker — December 9, 2003
- Navigating Your Way Through Business Court Seminar – Orange County Bar Association — Co-Chairman — May 13, 2005