Michael D. Begey
Michael Begey concentrates his practice in the areas of product liability, commercial and class action litigation. He represents clients in the aviation, automotive, industrial and consumer product and medical device industries.
A significant portion of Michael’s practice is dedicated to product liability defense. He represents automotive manufacturers in cases involving components and systems including seat belts and occupant restraints, airbags, door latch, window glazing, padding, suspension systems, seat backs, and roofs. He also has experience in the defense of crashworthiness, handling and stability, fuel-fed fire, cargo retention, and toxic tort allegations. Michael also represents motorcycle helmet manufacturers against claims of product defect and aviation clients against claims involving engine design.
Michael also represents manufacturers, directly and through their insurance carriers, of industrial products including transformer components, as well as consumer products including blenders, televisions and motorized gates. Additionally, he represents medical device manufacturers in litigation alleging product defectiveness as well as non-compliance with applicable FDA regulations.
He also represents clients in diverse commercial areas such as franchise disputes, product purchase agreement disputes, and financial and contractual matters.
Through a combination of his product and commercial experience, Michael has significant experience in defending nationwide class actions involving claims of product defect, fraud, Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices and breach of warranty.
- Motor Vehicles
- Product Liability Advisory Counsel (PLAC)
- Defense Research Institute
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Orange County Bar Association, including Young Lawyers Section
- American Bar Association
University of Pittsburgh School of Law — J.D., magna cum laude, 1997
- University of Pittsburgh Law Review, Managing Editor
- Order of the Coif
University of Central Florida — B.A., Political Science, summa cum laude, 1993
- Florida — 1997
- U.S. District Courts of Florida (Northern, Middle, Southern)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- "When Constitutionality is Challenged, Know What Weapons You Have," Facts & Findings: The Paralegal Magazine, March/April 2017
- "A Little Known Requirement Essential to Defending Constitutional Challenges," FDLA's Defense Post, Spring 2014 edition