Robert H. Adams
Robert Adams is certified in Business Bankruptcy Law and Creditors’ Rights Law by the American Board of Certification. He represents debtors, creditors, creditors’ committees, trustees, bondholders and other clients in bankruptcy, reorganization, and creditors’ rights proceedings in federal and state courts. For nearly four decades, he has been providing a broad range of services to clients in Chapter 11 reorganizations, Chapter 7 proceedings, workouts, business and commercial litigation matters, and foreclosure actions in Alabama and around the Southeast. Robert is involved in creditors’ rights proceedings in a wide variety of industries, including manufacturing, broadcast communications, agriculture, restaurant, banking and real estate.
Robert represents lenders, bondholders, indenture trustees and borrowers in bankruptcy and other state and federal proceedings. Representations include orderly liquidations both in and out of court, loan workouts and debt restructurings. Robert also assists lenders in the defense of consumer litigation matters including FDCPA and advises lenders and borrowers in foreclosure and UCC sales both consensual and non-consensual.
Active in the federal, state and local bankruptcy bar, Robert is recognized as a “Best Lawyer in America” in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law for more than twenty years. He is also recognized in the Alabama Super Lawyers. He served on the Steering Committee to establish the Alabama Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association.
Robert also served on the inaugural Fee Arbitration Committee for the Birmingham Bar Association and has served as chairman and co-chairman of that committee, as well as serving on the BBA’s Pro Bono and Scholarship Committees. He is a past president of the University of Alabama at Birmingham National Alumni Association. Robert is a frequent speaker for continuing education courses on bankruptcy law and related topics and taught courses on bankruptcy law for paralegals at Cumberland School of Law, serving for several years on the faculty of Birmingham School of Law. Robert is a past chairman of the Pastoral Council and Finance Committee at St. Elias Maronite Catholic Church in Birmingham.
- Banking and Financial Institutions
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Past Chair, Fee Arbitration Committee
- Past member, Pro Bono Committee
- American Association for Justice
- Commercial Law League
- Turnaround Management Association, Steering Committee, Alabama Chapter, Former Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- St. Elias Maronite Catholic Church in Birmingham, Past Chairman of the Pastoral Council and Finance Committee
Birmingham School of Law — J.D., 1980
University of Alabama — B.S., 1975
- Alabama — 1980
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Claims
- U. S. District Court of Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern)
- Certified in Business Bankruptcy Law and Creditors' Rights Law by the American Board of Certification
- Listed in Birmingham Magazine, Top Attorneys 2019
- Listed in Mid-South Super Lawyers - Bankruptcy:Business, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 1995-2022
- AV-Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Co-presenter, "Mortgage Banking Law," Mortgage Bankers Association of Alabama Education Session, June 7, 2017
- "Chapter 11 and Alternatives for Businesses in Financial Distress: Strategies for Debtors and Creditors," National Business Institute, 2008