Week 1 2018

A Jam-Packed and Eventful Week!

A Jam-Packed and Eventful Week!

Just a little over two weeks ago, I was finishing up studying for my last exam as a 2L at the University Of Miami School Of Law. I knew that I had to focus on the task at hand, but could not stop thinking about starting the Summer Associate Program at RK. Now, it is crazy to think that I am already done with week one of the program!

I spent my first two days at the Orlando office for orientation with the firm’s other three summer associates: Jeff (Tallahassee), Michaela (Orlando), and Jessica (Tampa). After getting to talk with many of the attorneys there while eating breakfast, we delved into orientation. I do not think I have ever had to fill out and sign so many forms in my entire life! From there, we took a tour of both of the office’s two floors; were photographed all over the place; and then went to lunch with a few attorneys. Afterwards, we attended a few seminars in which we were taught about writing and grammar from partner Sally Culley, timekeeping from partner Damien Orato, and how to use the computers.

The real fun began after we left the office at the end of the day.  All of the summer associates and many attorneys went to participate in the Great Escape Experience, a game where we had to work together to find clues to solve a mystery. Our time of just over 49 minutes, which would have been lower, had the guide in the room given us proper help, seemed great considering how many different puzzles we had to figure out.  But after learning that a group of fifth graders who went before us got a better time, it did not seem like nearly as much of an accomplishment. After finishing up there, we went out to a nearby pub for dinner and some drinks, and then it was time to go back to the hotel where I promptly passed out from exhaustion.

On day two, we learned more about how to use the computer system and to research efficiently on Westlaw, and then watched a video on sexual harassment in the workplace while eating lunch. Just like that, it was time to head back to Miami in anticipation of my first day there!

It only took a couple of hours at the Miami office for me to feel completely at home. Everyone could not have been more welcoming. I received my first assignments around 9:30 AM, which included analyzing the interactions between our client, an insurance company, and insureds who were claiming loss of property resulting from Hurricane Irma. Later that day, partner Jacey Kaps could not have been nicer in taking me out to lunch with Maggie Sanders and Director of IT Avi Solomon. When I got back from lunch, I immediately delved right back into working on David’s assignments, and then before I knew it, it was time to go home.

On day four, I continued working on my first assigned cases and then received my second assignment to review medical records in a medical malpractice case to see if anything stood out to add to the case file. There were over 200 pages of records spanning over ten years; understandably, I have not yet finished scrutinizing them. So, at the end of the week, while writing this blog post, this is where I currently stand. I am awaiting feedback on my completed Hurricane Irma summaries, still going over the medical records, and anticipating a possible assignment from partner Suzanne Singer on a motion to dismiss. All in all, I could not be happier being at RK for the summer and cannot wait to see what comes next!