J. Scott Kirk
A seasoned trial lawyer, Scott Kirk represents clients in the areas of trucking and casualty litigation.
He defends nationally known trucking companies in cases involving significant and catastrophic injuries as well as wrongful death claims. Representing an industry subject to regulation at state and federal levels, Scott’s practice includes consulting with his trucking industry clients on evidence preservation and compliance matters that may impact the investigation of accidents and the defense of future litigation. Familiar with the regulations governing the industry, Scott defends trucking clients in cases involving issues including weight, lighting, driver qualifications and performance, vehicle maintenance and repair, and issues related to the electronic control module (EDM). His experience includes handling matters arising from a variety of trucking accidents including rollovers, vehicle/ pedestrian, and multiple vehicle collisions.
Scott represents clients in a variety of matters including premises liability, motor vehicle accidents and product defect claims. He assists clients with premises liability claims involving public housing, retail establishments, hotels, restaurants and bars as well as private homes. Defense of claims arising from motor vehicle accidents includes collisions involving passenger cars and trucks, commercial vehicles, and motorcycles. Scott also has experience representing the manufacturers of a variety of products including ladders, stools, chairs, lawnmowers, farm implements, cranes and erection equipment, water heaters, conveyor systems and elevators/escalators, vessel and engine design and performance, operator performance, and prop guard claims. Scott also represents clients in admiralty matters involving the Jones Act.
His practice also includes the defense of public entities such as housing authorities in employment and civil rights matters. He represents clients at administrative proceedings of the EEOC and the Florida Commission on Human Rights and in judicial proceedings in state and federal court. Scott has defended against discrimination claims including those based on age, gender, race/ethnicity and disability.
In addition to his trial practice, Scott serves as an arbitrator in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida. He frequently presents to clients and at seminars on topics related to claims investigation and defense.
Scott was inducted as a Fellow into the American College of Trial Lawyers, a prestigious by-invitation-only organization composed of the best of the trial bar from the United States and Canada. He also served as president of the Central Florida chapter of the American Board of Trial Attorneys and was the 2014 recipient of “Defense Trial Lawyer of the Year” for ABOTA.
Defense verdict for conveyor manufacturer in case involving serious arm injury to a warehouse employee.
Case No.: 9816) Circuit Court, Holmes County, Mississippi
Jury ruled in favor of client, Brunswick Corporation in a personal injury case. This case was tried in Holmes County, Mississippi, a rural, outlying county with a history and reputation for plaintiff verdicts of significant size against large corporations.
Summary judgment for third-party defendant sued on a claim for contractual and common law indemnity with an attorneys’ fee provision.
- Boating and Marine
- Retail and Hospitality
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Trial Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Orange County Bar Association
Stetson University College of Law — J.D., 1976
Stetson University — B.A., History, 1973
- Florida — 1976
- U.S. District Courts of Florida (Northern, Middle, Southern)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- "Defense Trial Lawyer of the Year" 2014, Central Florida Chapter, ABOTA
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, 1995-2020
- Listed in Florida Super Lawyers, Personal Injury Defense: General, 2007-2013, 2015-2022
- "Apportioning Multiple Injuries," CEU Institute Claims Examiner Seminar, March 2014, Co-Presenter
- "Civil Litigation Strategies," CEU Institute Claims Examiner Seminar, November 2013, Co-Presenter
- Jacksonville Association of Defense Counsel — Speaker — September 2005
- Ninth Annual Florida Liability Claims Conference — Speaker — June 2005
- USHARP Pool Conference — Speaker — November 2004
- Eighth Annual Florida Liability Claims Conference — Speaker — June 2004
- National Association of Women Business Owners — Speaker — April 2002
- Florida Housing Authorities Risk Management Insureds — Speaker — April 2001
- Florida Housing Authorities Risk Management Insureds in Ocala — Speaker — 2001