What to Do When Faced With a Complaint Against Your Professional License
This article appeared in the "Consult the Counsel" special advertising section in the Orlando Business Journal on July 27, 2018.
Your professional license is not only the key to your livelihood and reputation; it is the culmination of years of education, training and hard work. Protecting your professional license is extremely important, both financially and personally. Professional liability claims may also sometimes be accompanied by complaints against your professional license. If you receive a complaint against your license, consult with legal counsel and remember to:
- Respond to the administrative agency, not just the court. Administrative agencies have their own rules and procedures.
- Do not send an angry rant to the regulatory agency.
- Provide a clear, dispassionate explanation of what took place.
- It may be appropriate to admit minor mistakes and simply apologize.
- Many agencies have early resolution procedures that may make sense in your case.
- Refunding a small amount of money or waiving a disputed fee may be best in the long run.
- Regulatory agencies have the burden to prove the violation by clear and convincing evidence.
- Check with your agent since your professional liability policy may cover defense costs.